Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Inaugeration 2009

This year, we swear in to office a true president of the People. This moment has been coming to us for quite some time. The intense power and dense winds of change are more palpable than ever.

I was in first grade, at P.S. 224 in Brooklyn, NY, during Dr. Martin Luther King Day. The teacher rolled a television set into our classroom for us to view footage to Dr. King delivering his famous "I Believe.." speech. At the age of 6, I was impressed and touched profoundly by that speech and the man who delivered it. I was of a minority demographic, and could relate to much of the injustices dealt minorities in our country.

I grew up believing in an America that year after year seemed to be slipping through our fingers. Perhaps a bit of an idealist, I knew in my heart, that in my lifetime we would see a President of great change. Great as in enormous, as in wonderful, astoundingly impressive even.

Here we are. A man my own age, who grew up with the America I grew up with. A man who I believe wants America to be healthy, respected, deserving, and just, as we always believed her to be in our hearts. America was an underdog, a champion for those who could not stand up for themselves, a champion wielding successes in the name of what is right and true and good.

Barack Obama represents all these things to me. I see the chance for an upswing of positive influence and reactions across the country, and throughout it's people at a time when we need it the most.
This is our chance for prosperity of the heart and redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment