Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Abortion Clinic

How can I stress enough the disquiet at having to take a girl for a fourth abortion?! I simply cannot. Anger, frustration, disappointment and sadness welled as a congealed concoction which together should have a name, since frequently, they all do come together. As if they all got the same invitation to a party.

"Are you goin' to Hope's stress-fest?"
"Hells yeah, can I catch a ride?"

So I brushed the unwelcome emotions from my heavy shoulders and got my ass out of bed early so I could be greeted by graphic and gory signs depicting abortion horrors. And so the very religious protesters could shout at us and menace us as our car pulled into the very recently fenced-in parking lot.

This fence was so new I thought I could still smell the sap on the wood. In spite of this shining and spectacular diversion, protesters had set up a soap box to loom over the fence with a megaphone. I shit you not. Recollections of my Toys for Tots episode with Prosti-Preacher telling us we were "goin' ta heeeellll, you can't do this alone, you need Jeeezus to help youuuu..." sprung up in my mind. We were jeered, and chastised, berated and pleaded with. And the only emotion they evoked was anger. I wanted to go around the fence and shove the little man off his step ladder. Sadly, the police were watching, supposedly for our protection, although I suspect for the protection of the obnoxious,
prostelatizing, ranting protesters as well. I admit that at moment they were in more danger than I. (wink wink) I held a my hand up in a peace sign to the window at the woman approaching the car as we entered the lot.

After our charge was all checked in, G and I went to grab some grub. And to kill some time until it was time to pick her up. I won't explain "Chilly Willy the Madman of South Blvd. McDonald's" cuz G wants to tell that tale. And folks...that one is gonna be good. We should even get a song or a poem out of it. ;)
When we were called to report back to the clinic, I mentioned that the protesters had probably taken a break for lunch since it was after noon now. G snickered. And then we turned the corner. and he was dismayed and saddened at not being able to blast them with Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" out of his windows.
Exactly the song they make ME think of. "Shut up when I'm talking to you!"

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the majority of the residents of this state are such shitbags.

    At least we don't have a creation museum. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...Silly girl, we haven't met the majority pr the residents of the state, and there are people like that everywhere. You are a shining beam of joy which more than makes up for the likes of them.

    ReplyDelete